Sunday, July 24, 2005

The pussification of America

Oh, what the hell. I'll write something political-ish.

I was at a party tonight, surrounded by gazilions of parents and dozens of children. I'm not a parent yet, so I didn't have much to add to the conversations swirling and whirling about me, but I did hear something that really surprised me.

I realize some of this is going to be old news to you my Flowers, but since it is rare that I get worked up over something non-sexual these days, I thought, oh what the heck. I'm writing about it.

Did you know that most schools are now requiring that teachers grade papers with purple pens instead of red pens? Apparently purple is a "friendlier", less "intimidating" color.
I found a kick ass post on Mad Dog Productions that says

According to a story in the Boston Globe, the reason purple is good for grading papers is that it’s a mixture of red and blue, so it has “red’s sense of authority but also blue’s association with serenity.”
And ends with this killer parting shot:
While we’re at it, why not eliminate grades altogether? Low grades breed low self-esteem, and pass/fail — well, it’s just way too, uh, red. It’s downright cruel to make any child think they failed, no matter how badly they did. That’s why the new system should be pass/passable. And letter grades should only include A, B, and C. Between these suggestions and purple grading, it won’t be long before we eradicate low self-esteem, the world will be at peace, and someone will come up with a study that proves purple turns kids into serial killers. It’s enough to make you see red.
I found these SERIOUSLY INTENDED but LOL funny quotes here:

The idea that red induces stress, especially in younger children, has been around for years, said Lawrence Jones, a psychology teacher and former graphic-design instructor at The Art Institute of California San Diego.

"You associate red with blood, stop and danger," he said. "Teachers, realizing the immense problems they face with kids in education, find avoiding red helps them avoid one more negative in a child's life."

Daniel Ochoa, a color theory teacher at the institute, said purple is associated with spirituality, royalty and elegance. Green is also soothing, he said, because it is the color of the forest and symbolic of refreshment.

Kum-bay-fucking-ya.

Like I said, I am not a parent yet. I don't know what it is like to raise anything without copious amounts of fur.....but am I crazy, or is it not part of my future job and your current job as parents to teach a child the good and prepare them for the bad? If kids don't learn how to fail, how to handle failure, LEARN from that failure, how can they ever succeed in this world? Life is not perfect and I think kids need to be prepared for that! Now I am not saying I would ever be a voice of doom and gloom - I am a very positive, happy person. But it seems to me like educators are stuck in this mentality where they think they need to put children in a bubble. Block out, as Stuart Smalley says "All the bad noise".

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I want my kids to get thrown out in dodgeball, know that red pen means wrong answer, an "F" means failure and getting grounded and you'd better get your act together.

I will NOT raise my future children to be sheltered little pussies.

Damnit.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I sent my kids to public school (which I'd never) I'd sign a permission slip to have them beat within an inch of their lives for any offense, especially gum chewing.

Every teacher should have a Taser or two, and the Principal should stalk the halls with an axe. I am tired of the kids today, vastly tired.

Mandelbrot's Chaos said...

a-fucking-MEN. I didn't get F's very often, but when I did, it was a powerful notice that I fucked up, and I was stronger for it. And trust me, I wouldn't've taken it any better had it been in red ink, or purple, or green, or in the color of the stripe down those school board morons' back, namely, yellow. Why not, instead of an American flag in every classroom, one showing a Frenchman shitting himself while waving a white flag?

Anonymous said...

RE: self-esteem... u want self esteem??? do sumpin FUCKING WORTH WHILE. do it for yourself so you can stand back and admire the work! don't brag about what you have done, just have an inner smile knowing that you mastered the job. We are NOT all winners at everything. Losing makes for character for it challenges you to do better next time! It demands that you learn from your errors, shortcomings and failures. If you are fortunate to learn from your mistakes then life will be a whole lot easier

Blondage said...

Bane, my high school principal walked around with a giant paddle with holes in it and scared the crap out of all of us.

(Ohhhh.......suddenly turned on for some reason....hmmmm.....damn I'm a perv...)

But the way things are these days, you're absolutely right, upgrade the paddle to a frikkin battle ax. Something large, creepy and celtic.

Mandelbrot, I learned from my own big ass mistakes in school too, and became a smarter student and a better person because of my boo-boos. I can't for the life of me figure out how educators got their heads so far up their asses that they cannot see the value in learning those types of lessons. Grrrrrr!!!!!!!

johndeerebilly, I just gave you a standing ovation in real life. Seriously. Other half just walked by and saw me standing and clapping, cocked his head, looked at me like I'd lost my damn mind, and sorta backed away. You said exactly what I was trying to get at, but waaaaaay better than I ever could.

You guys totally rule.

Mandelbrot's Chaos said...

The English should just call it "pulling a Neville," if they want to avoid the "f" word. After all, Neville Chamberlain was great at deferring success... to someone else who was actually capable of achieving it.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they should mark papers in a sort of muddy brown -- you know, a mix of all of the colors, combining the severity of red, the calm of blue, the pastoral buccolicism of green, the regality of purple, the energy of orange, the cheer of yellow, the ambiguity of beige, the nuance of lavendar, the unbridled aplomb of hot pink, the ruscticity of sienna...

Oh boy. What bullshit. What utter, utter bullshit.

Blondage said...

Hi Jack! Welcome to my little pervy corner. You must have snuck in through the back door 'cause I didn't see ya at first!

*wide grin*

"pastoral buccolicism of green" "the unbridled aplomb of hot pink"

LMAO!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, blondage. I thought I'd take a look at your digs. Very entertaining (and educational!).

Blondage said...

*giggling*

Entertaining and educational? Why thank you kind Sir!

*curtsies*

Come back and play anytime. :)

AlphaPatriot said...

You shoud definitely post more political commentary. Nice!

keeping the blog alive...

Blogger deleted my political blog (rest in peace, "Realitively Unbalanced"), because I wasn't logging in often enough. No way ...