Monday, October 03, 2005

My War, by Colby "CBFTW" Buzzell





Ya know what Flowers?

I thought I could do a "straight", completely serious book review on Perv Rep.

I agonized. I obsessed. I tried. I swear I did.

But it JUST. DIDN'T. WORK.

I just have to be me. *grin* So here we go.....a book review, Blondage-style. Part playful, a bit flirty, with some serious thrown in here and there. ;)

First of all....the cover is fierce. Powerful. Striking. As in, stop-a-girl-in-her-tracks kind of striking. If I bought books based just on cover design, I'd be buying this one by the crate and papering the walls of my office with it.

Heck. Maybe I'll do that anyway.

*grin*

Reading CB's book reminded me of going in to "subspace". Intense and scary, and, at times, completely and utterly mindblowing....it sent my endorphins firing...gave me a total adrenaline rush. By the time I finished the book I was so stunned, shell-shocked and floaty that Other Half was teasing me about having a new boyfriend.

Just. Plain. Dayum.

Before I go on, I must make one thing absolutely clear. You need not have read his blog or know his "story" in order to get in to this book. CB's book is laid out chronologically -- starting with how he decided to join the military, moving in to recruitment and boot camp, on to Iraq, how his extraordinary blog began and went dark, and through his plane ride home. The blog posts included in the book hop around a bit "date-wise", but in a way that enriched the stories he was telling. Everything is woven together seamlessly. The book has a great flow to it.

For those as yet uninitiated, Colby's writing style is unique. I've always thought it feels as if he is having a conversation with you instead of typing something for you to read. I've heard several people call it "stream of consciousness" style. CB gets compared to Hunter S. Thompson a lot. I can understand the comparison, but truly, his writing is just not like anyone else's. Raw and emotional, but in a controlled way that is hard to describe and do justice to it.

CB is sarcastic, funny, honest, brave as hell and a total bad ass. He may seem at the start off the book as sort of an "everyman", but hold on to your hat. Human, yes. But "everyman", HELL NO (and I mean that as the highest possible compliment).

I don't want to give too many details away, especially for those of you who were lucky enough to have read his blog "live" like me when he was in Iraq. His other early followers will learn plenty of new things about him and what he went through; the very things our brave men and women continue to through. The descriptions of the guerilla style warfare he fought against will make you feel like you are riding a runaway damn roller coaster. (And yes, for my fellow original blogreaders of his who keep asking me, "Men in Black" is in the book.)

We still have soldiers far from home, fighting hard, getting hurt, dying for our freedom. This book will give you a strong mental picture of what they have gone through and are continuing to go through.

I know the majority of my readers already have the utmost respect for our soldiers and what they sacrifice for us back here at home...but there are some clueless individuals out there ya know.

I want to put forth an idea that actually originated from Colby to you, my dear Flowers.

First, buy the book and read it. You will thank me. Trust me.

After you finish reading your copy, find someone who would never in a million years buy a book written by a soldier at war. Someone perhaps hostile to our military, with little to no understanding of what our soldiers go through (I chose a goofy, loopy cousin -- doesn't every family have a least one?). Loan it to them. Dare them to read it and not be changed by it. And no, you ninnies, I am not singling out any particular political party. There's goofy loopies on all sides of the aisle.

If even a small percentage of the goofy loopies we loan or give our copies to grasp it and begin the "deprogramming" process.....how extraordinary would that be?

I truly believe that will be Colby's legacy.

And hey, if you're lucky, you may get to experience a bit of subspace too. ;)

BUY. THIS. BOOK.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't think i could ever look him in the eyes, you know? he looks right through flesh as a laser through ether.
very nice review, pervette.
alix - who still isn't here and is supposed to be studying. heh.

Blondage said...

*waves and grins to the invisible Alix* I might be able to look him in the eyes, but I think my knees would give out. Ooomph.

Azrael! I missed you! Can't wait for you to read the book so we can talk about it! xoxoxoxoxoxo

LL said...

I only read a handful of his posts. It made me sad to see his blog go offline (in terms of new war posts) and I can't wait to read the book. Thanks blondage, I know how much you enjoyed reading that book. ;)

LL said...

Oh ho, I forgot to mention--when I get my copy I want a signed version *hint,hint*. Where that babelicious man has held it in his hands, maybe rubbed it all over his body, and then written something naughty inside of it! Whoop!! Think I could talk him into it?!?

Anonymous said...

blondie, do you realise HOW many surprised people there are going to be on the globe when folks are googling "My War"?!

prepare the house of blondage for a few more dirty ol' men and wimmin ;) you are SO pimping your blog via CB!!!

that's pee-my-pants funny. hell, the axis may even shift simply because of engorgement. (did i SAY that out loud?)
still-not-here-alix

Anonymous said...

I guess I will have to buy this book.

Blondage said...

LL, ohhhhhhh! Now that was a mental image....LOL! Something tells me he doesn't roll around nekkid on copies of his book...but I dare ya to ask him.

Ghost of Alix, I am going to be howling over your comment all day! The "cross-contamination" of my and CB's readers is going to be quite something!

Blackops, buy it or I am hunting your ass down in New York, tying you up and spanking you!

Hmmm....maybe I am on to a new marketing campaign. "Free spankings by Blondage with proof of purchase of CBFTW's book".

Blondage said...

...or....for you with more Dominant leanings...

"May spank Blondage with proof of purchase of CBFTW's book".

But no, you may not actually spank me WITH the book.

Hmmmm....on second thought, that might be HAWWWWT!

LL said...

ROFLMAO!!

Yeah, I think I'm gonna brave the lion's den and ask him. You just watch me!

Blondage said...

OMG! I was kidding!!!!!!

LOL!

(Sorry CB!)

Anonymous said...

How ya been B?

The book sounds awesome. I'll pick it up next week.

--kisses--

LL said...

Oh geez, blondage, the man has been in a war zone and shot at and you're apologizing for me being forward and asking for a little nudity on my book?

C'mon CB, be a sport. I promise I won't tell anyone that you did it!

Blondage said...

punkin'! Email me you wench!

LL, biting my tongue.

hehehehehee

justrose said...

cannot wait to read. and what a great review!

justrose said...

just ordered! thanks for the link.

AFSister said...

*melting*
OMG... that MAN! *sigh*

*shakes head.... coming back into reality*

GIRL! your review rocks almost as much as the real deal. The book is KICK ASS. I hope to have a review on my site soon, but I don't think it will be a flirty as yours, as much as I would like it to be!

Blondage said...

Hazel, you're going to love it. Can't wait to talk to you after you get started!

Afsister, thank you for the compliment on the review! You should have read version one before I toned it down, talk about flirty! LOL! I didn't want to scare the poor man though. Looking forward to reading your review! It's such a great book. Keeping my mouth shut about my favorite parts is driving me NUTS!

Anonymous said...

Whew, FINALLY back in the States! I read Colby's site quite often before I deployed, to give myself a better idea of what it was really like on the ground, the Marine Corps/Army differences not withstanding. I'm definately looking forward to hunting down his book tomorrow, and if its only half as good as his blog was, it'll be well worth it. Plus, Colby's about to get rich, lol! Good for him. However, I can't resist this...Colby, if you're reading, everybody knows that ARMY stands for Ain't Ready to be a Marine Yet, lol. Seriously, though, thousands of our brothers and sisters in arms are doing extraordinary work over there...I just got back from seeing it for myself. Colby's blog lets you know what its like to be down in the weeds, where you can't see the overall effects of what you're doing...but it eventually adds up to something great. Good Stuff.

Blondage said...

Crutch darlin', I didn't know you were one of Colby's original readers too! Yet another thing we have in common!!!! heh.

Welcome home SSgt! Damn proud of ya!!!!!

LL said...

So, as Cpt. Z says, On the Way! I ordered and I'm waiting with bated breath. Can't wait to get the book in my paws. Wish I could get the man in my paws, but it looks like that ain't happenin'. I completely forgot to tell you that you did a kick ass job reviewing the book blondage. *^fives* to you girl!

Blondage said...

*grinning*

Thanks LL. I've never done a review before. It was cool.

The good ones are always married. Look at you and me! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read it...of course as soon as I get it will get precedence over all the other books I have to read! The BLOGFATHER is published! WooHoo!
Great Review Ms. Blondage!

Anonymous said...

Hey blondage what a terrific review! Read CB's blog a few times and loved it! Will definitely be buying the book. CB--if you're reading this and you just happen to be rolling around nekkid on some books, as mentioned by blondage, I want one of THOSE books:) What a marketing strategy!

Blondage said...

Ala, can't wait to talk to you about it after you read it. I am going nuts keeping my mouth shut. Argh!

SK, that was LL that wanted him to roll around nekkid on his books.

My idea was a marketing campaign involving spankings by or to me, with proof of purchase.

heheheheheeee

Anonymous said...

Great review! Being a huge fan of CB's blog (lurker, no comments), I can't wait to check out the book. If his book is half as fascinating as his blog, I'm sure I will be mesmerized. AND, I love the cover - what a sexy man!

Blondage said...

BBF, I remember sooooo well how freaked out and worried we used to get in the mornings when he hadn't posted. Crikey.

We gotta pop across the street tomorrow and see if they have a display up.

Anonymous said...

Oops - had a meeting today. Maybe tomorrow??? I'm ready!

Blondage said...

Blonde moment BBF. It's not out yet in the stores. We'll have to make a date for next week. Woo hoo!

keeping the blog alive...

Blogger deleted my political blog (rest in peace, "Realitively Unbalanced"), because I wasn't logging in often enough. No way ...